Lover of nature and sports of all kinds, I've tried to find a very simple solution to share with my friends my bike trips and my Ultra Trail running races.
I haven't found any, so I developed this app in Nov 2019 to share with others not only my postion but also my GPX track, elevation & distance.
Moreover, on the same race or hike, it is sometimes useful that every member of a group knows in real time the position of all the others (Group Mode).
GpxMe is a simple solution to create and share a GPX file from your smartphone and to initiate a Live tracking on this route.
1. There is no app to install, just go to https://gpxme.com on your smartphone.
2. Before creating your account, put the shortcut icon on your desktop:
On iPhone, tap the Share button at the bottom of the page. On the bottom row of icons, scroll over until you see Add to Home Screen and tap this.
On Android, in your browser menu click on "Add shortcut to desktop".
3. Create an account if you want to use GpxMe services.
1. Go to the homepage and you'll be located on the map (answer Yes to authorize your browser accessing the GPS).
2. Upload the track (only GPX format, no KML, KMZ, PTS or PLT) you plan to run/ride/hike and share it with your followers using the buttons at the top right of the screen.
3. You can also use the Group mode, see explanations below.
4. That's it! As long as your browser stays open on GpxMe.com, your position will automatically be updated on all your friends screen, no need for them to refresh the page. Your live-tracking link is always the same. Close your browser and your sharing will stop.
5. If the phone goes into sleep mode (or screen Off), your GPS position will NOT be sent (this is how smartphone browsers work today). A button is provided to keep the screen on. Please adjust the brightness to save some battery. If you want to use GpxMe with the screen Off, see solution below.
1. Once you log in to gpxme.com, go to Menu/Live Photos and choose a picture on your smartphone gallery
2. The photo will be compressed and send on your follower's screen (see below) and will be geolocated
3. We suggest not to send more that one picture at a time otherwise the icons will be superimposed
4. To remove all the pictures you have sent on a track, go to Menu/My Account/Delete all pictures
1. For trailers or bikers or hikers who want to use GpxMe on long distances with the screen off, you have to install a small free App called Traccar Client from Playstore or AppStore. It's a native 2Mb app that sends
periodically your position to our server even when your smartphone goes into sleep mode. You do NOT need to login and use GpxMe simultaneously with Traccar Client.
2. Once installed, set your Identifier and server URL into the app. You will find this 2 values in GpxMe My Account. The frequency value can remain 300 (updates your position every 5 minutes). Then start Traccar Client and switch your screen off.
3. If your position is not updated on followers' screen after a while, this is most probably due to your Android or iOS battery management settings. Make sure you don't use any power saver plan. Settings -> Battery & Performance -> Power Saving Plan -> Select Traccar -> Select something like "No restriction"
If a group is doing the same workout or trip, instead of sending your position through a link, use the Live Groups menu. All members of the same Group will see each other's position on their own map, no need to use the share button in this case.
If you want to hide the Group markers, you can uncheck the box in the Layer options or you can leave the Group. A user can belong to only one Group at a time. The Groups are automatically deleted every 48 hours.
1. Go to the Create GPX menu and follow the explanations below to create your track
2. Once your GPX file saved, you have to optimize it. Use the last button to submit your file into the provided form at GPX Visualizer. It will add/correct elevation and remove aligned points. Then save it back to your device.
3. Go back to the homepage and load your track to the server
Someone receiving your link will see your live position on your GPX track. Another indicator shows your position on the Elevation Diagram. If you leave the track,
this indicator will remain at the closest point from you on the track. On the map, your position has an accuracy of 1m to 3m outdoors. In case of long inactivity, a message will inform
your followers. This is mainly due to a bad 3G/4G network. As soon as the network coverage is fine again, your position will be updated on the map.
Your friend can eventually geolocate him/herself on the same map. The follower's interface is very simple. If he/she wants to load their own tracks or if more than 2 people are involved, we suggest they create an account and use the Group feature.
A follower will always see the last GPX track sent from your account.
1. A good GPX file is the premise to a good live tracking. Use the last button in the Create GPX menu to submit your file at GPX Visualizer.
It will add/correct elevation and remove aligned points. Then save it back to your device.
2. Go back to the homepage and upload your track to the server.
You have probably answered No to the last GPS authorization request. Here is the procedure to reset:
On your smartphone or PC, open your browser and go to https://gpxme.com
On the left of the web address, click on the padlock icon
Click Site Settings.
Change the location setting (GPS)<
We don't want ads in this app. GpxMe is free of charge during one month. Then, please help us improve and maintain the platform and the app. The licence fee for 5 years is 5 € (1 €/year) without any subscription afterwards. After 5 years, your account is automatically deleted from our servers unless you decide to "follow" your adventure with us. Thanks.